Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Anticipation





Anticipation

Last summer my daughter got married. We planned and prepared for a year for that one day. 
Every year we celebrate Christmas. We plan and prepare for over a month for that one day.
Sometimes we go on a vacation. We plan and prepare for months for those few days.
See a pattern here? There’s a lot to ponder about these patterns, but I want to focus on anticipation.


Planning                            
                                                        I love to plan things.
The details and charts and lists and preparations are part of the fun for me. I enjoy the anticipation because it makes the final event more than just one day. It’s the process, the journey that I love even more than the event. Really, for us at this time of life with our little family, grown children and no grandchildren, Christmas day is not a huge event as it has been in the past. Yet, I still love the preparations of baking, decorating, shopping, etc.  The wedding was only one day, now long gone, yet the fun was in the shopping for dresses, sending out invitations, making flowers, etc. and the photos that remain remind me of that joyful day. So, as I have said, I love the anticipation and the planning of events, but not everything can be planned.

Waiting

Sometimes, I am just waiting and not knowing what is in store. I can’t plan for what I don’t know might be ahead of me. It’s the times when I am praying for direction, looking for a new job, a new church, a new project, etc. that leaves me more waiting and not anticipating. I am kind of in that place right now. I am not looking for a job, and we have found a church community, but I am waiting for God’s direction on the next project or purpose for this time in my life.

Just “being” is really difficult for me. In my mind, it’s as if I need to justify my existence by producing or contributing something of value. I’m the stereotypical Martha, ready to serve others but not taking time to sit. So I was thinking….what if I could “plan” to be, what if I could learn to anticipate my quiet times? How would that change how I view the waiting?

Choosing
I could plan times to write in my journal. I could plan times of soaking in worship music. I could plan my day to make sure I allow time to pray and listen. I could anticipate hearing from the Lord. I could anticipate a sense of His peace. I could anticipate the joy of being in his presence instead of the dread of being alone.

I think it all comes down to how we think about things. We can look forward to something or we can have anxiety. I want to choose to anticipate and have confidence that good things are coming. I am realizing that it is a choice.  

How do you look at waiting, planning, anticipating? Are those things a joy for you or a drag? Are you better at waiting and resting than you were before?  These are all things that I hope to grow in, with the Lord's help. How about you? 


1 comment:

  1. Hi Linda! I have a different personality for sure.. I'm an introvert I think. but I also hate not knowing what is going to happen. I went through a journey of almost 10 years now I think since leaving home and it was all bumpy and out of my control. What ended up happening is I got a shorter view of things. Now I feel more relaxed but also know I have to bow out more than I 'think' I should of things. I was ready to jump into but didn't realize that 'ministry' is everywhere. Ministry is babysitting the grands, planning a meal--which I am still challenged at. you do not have to be working 'in' church to serve god. Although I love my church-I know that the unbelievers are not in there. so just my thoughts which I know are wavy. The question is are you leading or being lead? and by who?

    ReplyDelete